Photos from the Oceans ...
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 04 December 2013 11:41
The International Association for the Physical Sciences of the Oceans (IAPSO) is one of eight Associations of the International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics (IUGG) which, in turn, is one of the Unions of the International Council for Science (ICSU).
IAPSO has the prime goal of "promoting the study of scientific problems relating to the oceans and the interactions taking places at the sea floor, coastal, and atmospheric boundaries insofar as such research is conducted by the use of mathematics, physics, and chemistry." IAPSO has addressed this goal through four fundamental objectives:
- Organize, sponsor, and co-sponsor formal and informal international forums permitting ready means of communication amongst ocean scientists throughout the world;
- Establish commissions, sub-committees, and organize commensurate workshops to encourage, stimulate, and coordinate new and advanced international research activities;
- Provide basic services significant to the conduct of physical oceanography, and
- Publish proceedings of symposia, meetings, and workshops, and fundamental references on the current state-of-the art and knowledge of physical oceanography.
IAPSO interacts with UNESCO's Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC).
This website provides information on IAPSO and its activities.